- Applicants must be U.S. citizens or Permanent Residents.
- Recipents must enroll in full-time study for the duration of their award period.
Summer 2021 fellowships are for intensive remote summer language programs offered through a U.S. university. They provide a stipend of $2,500 plus tuition and fees to a maximum of $5,000. A letter grade is also required. Students should apply separately to that university for admissions into the summer language program. Non-language programs are not eligible for summer FLAS funding, nor is dissertation research. In order to qualify for funding, the summer intensive language program must last at least 6 weeks and provide at least 140 synchronous contact hours for beginning and intermediate level courses, or 120 synchronous contact hours for advanced level coursework.
UCLA students who wish to attend the Southeast Asian Studies Summer Institute (SEASSI) should simultaneously apply for admission and other funding directly to SEASSI and for FLAS funding through the UCLA FLAS application. Qualified applicants should apply for all possible scholarships to maximize opportunities.
**Please note that Summer FLAS is considered summer financial aid for UCLA students. Students might not be able to receive any additional summer financial aid funding for UCLA Summer Sessions or other fellowships and should contact the UCLA Financial Aid Office for more information about summer financial aid eligibility.
Academic Year 2021-2022 fellowships provide a total stipend of $15,000 for graduate students and $5,000 for undergraduates and cover up to $18,000 of academic year tuition and fees for graduate students and $10,000 for undergraduates. The Academic Year FLAS Fellowship requires that students take one Southeast Asia language and one area studies course for a letter grade every quarter for the entire year while enrolling full time for residence at UCLA. Independent Studies are allowed with specific permission.
AY awards may be used for dissertation research or writing for students who have completed their degree coursework and are at the advanced level of language proficiency, but this must be approved in advance.
Selection for the award is based on the following criteria:
- Academic performance and potential as evidenced by academic transcript, letters of recommendation, and statement of purpose;
- The extent to which overall course of study focuses on Southeast Asia;
- The level of planned language study. More advanced levels are preferred;
- Financial need as determined by past financial aid levels;
- Past awardees may reapply.
- 1-2 page statement of purpose outlining the student’s primary research interest and explaining how language study will enhance the project;
- 2 academic/professtional letters of recommendation;
- unofficial UCLA transcripts and from other institutions for previous degrees (Graduate Students);
- resume or CV;
- language program details and information (for summer only)